Updated June 2018
“the discovery, interpretation, and communication of meaningful patterns in data” Wikipedia. Businesses can, and have been working with the platform Google Analytics which is built for “web analytics”, measuring and reporting all the happenings on your website every day. The goal behind this is to take that data and use it to describe, predict, and ultimately improve your business’ performance. These gathered insights when analyzed can help you identify weaknesses, or points of improvement in the website and possibly in the business itself. With this constant stream of new data, new strategies can be tested and continuously improved upon.
Once some code is added to a website, Google Analytics, or another chosen analytics program, can then begin collecting data. This data however can be intimidating, and many people don’t know how to use it to it’s maximum potential. So here, we’ll start with some basics to help you begin deciphering your business’s quirks.
4 Basic Insights from Web Analytics
Total Visitors and Unique Visitors
- How many are coming to your website?
- Is this number what you expected?
Where are these visitors coming from?
You may be surprised where and how your best visitors find you. Knowing this helps to understand your potential clients a little better. Helpful analytics reports to answer this question include:
- Referrals: learn which websites are (and are not) sending you valuable traffic to help you strategize on where to focus more of your time and energy.
- Search Keywords: see how much traffic is coming from search engines, and then look closer into which searched phrases are bringing the best visitors to your site. This will help a lot with your SEO (search engine optimization) and even PPC (pay-per-click) / SEM (search engine marketing) strategies. Seeing your site rank for phrases not associated with your brand name means people are finding you earlier in their consideration cycle!
What do you want these visitors to do?
It’s easy to lose sight of the big picture when you start worrying about the fine details all the time. Step back and go back to the basics!
- Why do you have a website in the first place?
- What are the first three things you want to work on? Paid marketing, content updates, social media boosts, etc.
- What do you want to be happening on your site, and what do you think should be happening right now?
Write down the things you feel measure success, define specific goals for your company to reach, and make sure everyone involved knows these by heart!
What are your current site visitors actually doing?
Look into these reports first:
- Landing Pages: where are people entering the site?
- Content Drilldown: which pages do people visit the most, spend the most/least time on? This will help get a feel for what your visitors like and don’t like.
- Behavior Flow: this reports shows exactly where your users started and ended their session on your site. This helps identify if there are any major roadblocks, slow site load speed, irrelevant content, etc.
Deciphering your analytics reports to find new marketing insights can be very time consuming. K-Kom provides a full array of marketing services and we’ll be very glad to speak with you to find out what your business needs to keep growing!
For more detail on this topic please read this analytics insights article by Avinash Kaushik.